19 July 2011

Bears, butterflies, and baskets, oh my!

The last week of crafting time has been consumed with making some handmade touches to a dear friend's wedding.  Specifically, creating this basket army for her out of town guests:

Basket Army

I thought more structural baskets would be hard to take home, but little fabric totes can be easily squished into suitcases, and when not holding edible goodies, good for containing those nightstand random things you collect while travelling.

It was quite a process, going from this [Flutters (in Water) from Just Wing It! by MoMo]:

Basket linings

and this [JoAnn's 12 oz bull denim in natural]:

Cutting basket canvas

to this:

Corners pre-box cut

And this:

Basket handles

In making the straps, I learned this canvas material was... finicky. It curled whenever it came into contact with moisture, but wouldn't hold a pressing unless it was spritzed. No wonder the straps stretched out of shape! (You can't tell in the picture, but they curl and the lining fabric is creatively mashed flat by four lines of stitching.) I finally got smart at the end and pre-pressed the lining (which behaved beautifully) and the canvas separately, then sewed them together. Also, the blind hem foot is amazing for edge stitching, especially when your machine can change needle positions -- *wonder* *awe*) ... and I clearly deprived myself of standard machine features for far too long with my little 3/4 machine.

To this:

Flattened baskets

The lining is sewn to the outer canvas. I hate baggy shifty linings, and it's a good way to make them stay put, if you don't mind pressing top hems down before stitching them together. And, as I discovered, a good way to box two corners at once without drawing lines or pinning or anything.

And finally, ta da!  Finished baskets.  I made 22 in total.  

Basket army (20% shown)

Mini tutorial/show-and-tell to come, when I can stomach making another basket. :)

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh, i see it now! (the boxing-of-the-corners trick, i mean)
    i saw the pic on Amy's fb a few days ago, you made a ton of baskets!

    ReplyDelete